Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, June 1, 2009

Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie

Do you ever start reading a bible passage and then when you realise what it's about, you wish you had accidentally skipped that bit because it mucks up your plans?

Last night I lay awake thinking about the fun things I could maybe squeeze in before work. It was a tiring weekend, I deserve a little treat. Hmmm JB HI-FI's sale finishes today. Gee, 20% off all cd's. I wonder what sweet 80's thrash metal album I could get cheap...Kreator? Sadus? Slayer? I was excited.

Then in my morning reading I was up to Luke 12, and the parable of the rich fool. And I started reading I thought, oh great, I can smell conviction coming on. And sure enough--

Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions(v.15)

Doh!

It's not that buying cd's is wrong. It's not necessarily greedy. But I knew that at this point, on this morning, the way I was thinking, yes, it was wrong for me. It was greed. I wanted it to make me feel happy. That whole 'I deserve it' line of thinking is a recipe for disaster.

I have about ten kickin' thrash albums sitting right here at work-- listen to them, and enjoy them, without thinking more, more, more! Want what you have, don't have what you want.

2 comments:

RodeoClown said...

I have this often* (and lately, when looking over your blog (stupid conviction post... gah!).

Thanks for writing this stuff. It feels like my thoughts are being written out for me.

*I am currently on the train home with the full-band guitar hero box sitting in front of me...

Ben McLaughlin said...

Thanks for your comment mate, sometimes I wonder if posting these thoughts is worthwhile to anyone.

Enjoy your guitar hero:)