Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hospitality and The Barry's

I've been thinking a bit lately about hospitality. It's not really a gift I have, but something I'd like to work on. It's not that I don't like people, just that I don't like them in my house... Aww, c'mon, don't tut tut me, that was a joke!

I would like to work on it though. Lately we've had a few people over for meals and stuff, and it's been really nice. I am a bit of a stress-head and worry about dumb stuff before hand, but once it's happening I enjoy it.

When I think of hospitality, the people who always pop in to my mind are our friends Andrew and Ruth. I think the first time I ever met Andrew, he asked if we were free for lunch! I really valued that they asked us over and opened their home and shared their family life with us. When we were still childless we'd go over and get to see how a family with kids 'worked'. It was cool.

I was taken aback the first time they said 'why don't you read the boys a bedtime story', but then I really appreciated it and thought, wow what a cool privilege.

A good example they've shown me is that hospitality isn't over and done with once the babies come along. It's tempting to think oh, the house is too messy, the kids have to have naps, it's all too hard.

But it doesn't have to be, and it is a really valuable time to be opening up your house to other people. I think it's really helpful for people who are planning to have kids to spend time with people who do have kids. And it's nice for parents to have some adult conversations!

No comments: