Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, February 10, 2012

Vege Patch 2

Remember a little while back I said I was going to make a second vege patch? Well I've been working on it quite a bit. Here's some progress snaps.. So here was the original plan, two vege sections, with herbs at the front.


Measuring up. The area is about 3m by 2m.



The digging begins. I imagined this would take about half an hour. It took about that times a million. It was a lot harder than I thought, getting that thick grass up. I took it out in strips, and transplanted it to a bare patch of ground in the front yard. It seems to be taking pretty well, so it was worth the effort.





A few months back the neighbours were throwing out a big pile of old pavers, so I grabbed them all, with this in mind. Making the boundaries was kind of a fun bit, and it actually didn't take long.



After a trip to Bunnings (thankyou sweet vouchers!) me and Little e planted ten herbs- mint, chives, marjoram, sage, basil, purple basil, oregano, parsley, coriander, and my favourite, thyme. Then mulched with sugar cane mulch.

The hired help:








I then used 5 bags of garden soil, some lime, some blood and bone, and some compost, to build up the beds. Also note my awesome path. This is what it looks like at the moment. I've planted quite a few seeds, the lettuce and carrots and dwarf beans are already coming up, and in that pot at the back I have some belotti beans, which are growing super fast. Eventually what I want to have there is a barrel with an espaliered apple tree growing on the fence.

Once things start coming up I'll put sugar cane mulch over both beds. Also may need to sort some drainage issues- during all that rain, the path was basically a big puddle..

But overall, I'm really pleased with it, and can't wait to see it when it's in full swing!

And there you have it!

2 comments:

Karen said...

It looks fantastic :)

Deb said...

Of course it was all so easy because you had such good help!