Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Viola Hederacea

I'm becoming quite an appreciator of plants and flowers in my old age. I want to learn all the names and botanical names, and learn how to grow things well. One of my favourite flowers is the Native Violet (viola hederacea). I love the fact that it's just a rambly, weedy sort of thing that grows naturally in the yard, in shady little corners where there's not much else.

I love the shape of the delicate looking flowers, and the beautiful two-tone of the white against the purple, and the way they sit precariously on top of those long skinny stems. I'm trying to grow some in pots, but they seem to have more charm just randomly growing themselves here and there in the grass.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I love these too. Would love to get them growing in a shady rocky no man's land we have near our clothesline but no luck as yet...

Pedro said...

Old age y reckon?!?!

Oh and the mardi gras starts in a week or two. Which float are you on?