Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, March 12, 2012

It's That Time Of Year Again..

* 6 dining chairs, good condition
* 4 outdoor chairs, apparently new
* Original Star Wars Trilogy box set. VHS.
* 2 bird houses. May contain faint traces of Avian Influenza. Apply hose.
* 2 old terracotta pots
* 2 garden hose reels
* 1 DVD player, good working condition

Ahh, nobody does council clean-up like the Sutherland Shire. I had a very exciting weekend, scouring the neighbourhood for treasure. I was all a-tremble at the sheer, simple, free joy of it all.

Doubters may scoff, but whom, I ask, whom was watching DVD'S in bed on Saturday night as a result of their conscientiousness?

4 comments:

Karen said...

Excellent work. We picked up a couple of very nice wooden bar stools from our neighbours across the road during one kerbside collection here. And one other time we found a children's desk as well.

Jessica said...

Oh excitement! I went round my house last night with Elsie, pointing and every piece of furniture and telling her where it came from "op shop, free from office, free from JK, free from D, present, free from former colleague..." I reckon NEARLY all my stuff is 2nd hand. And if I had to move to another city in a hurry, I could leave A LOT behind.

Deb said...

Our council has banned it. Now we are allowed two roadside collections per year per household which we book in with the council whenever it is convenient to us and which gets picked up 24 hours later. And we are threatened with all sorts of legal nastiness if we take without permission from other people's rubbish piles. It's all very civilized and very un-friendly.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Karen- Good scores. we've gotten some great stuff over the years. I love it.

Jess- I think that's a good way to live. And I love the idea of looking around the house and seeing that your furniture collection cost about two bucks fifty!

Deb- Wow, that's a travesty. There's talk of them stopping it in our area too. That would suck. I can understand the council getting sick of picking up the huge piles from every house. But it would be a sad loss. And that whole legal side is ridiculous that you'd need permission to reuse something that is going to be landfill otherwise. Grr.