Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Dog House

I was putting the bins out last night, and Buddy snuck between my legs, out the gate, and did a runner up the street. I then spent the next 20 minutes trying to catch the stupid little lovable rogue.  I'd get real close, and be all kind and loving, plaintively calling, "Here Bud, come on, boy..", and get closer, closer, and than pee-yow, he'd be off again, thinking it was all an awesome joke. He nearly got hit by a car or two, and I kept expecting to hear tyres screech and a yelp. 

He'd also do this thing where he'd run right up to people's front door, make the sensor lights come on, and I'd have to traipse up there into the light, looking like a goose, and I'd be just about to get him when he'd do a Benji Marshall step, and whiz past me again.

Truth be told, I was angry. Very angry. I was fantasising about the punishing wrath that would be quenched when I caught him. RSPCA, avert your eyes.  He knew it too. He could tell that my plaintive calls were actually thinly veiled death threats. He reached that point where he's like "well, I'm in for it anyway, I may as well just live it up and do as much naughty, fun stuff as I can before I'm caught."

Anyways, after running about the streets in my slippers in the dark for a fair while, what finally worked was a bit of reverse psychology. I turned around, and started walking home, pretending not to care. He eventually followed. And in he dashed, through the gate, and ka-lank! I locked it. And he finally came face to face with his judge.

What happened next is unfit for printing.

3 comments:

RodeoClown said...

Shai, our dog (looks very similar to your Buddy), likes to run down the street. But now he's learnt to come when I call him. You need to practice it heaps, you call him, and give him a treat (or two) and some big cuddly rubs, and he'll learn that being called is a good thing.

I now take him on a (very) short walk to get the mail, which is outside the fence, with no lead and he's learnt to come back when I call him.

He also knows when he's done the wrong thing, but still comes when he's called, although he slinks like crazy, dragging his whole body through the ground.

It's pretty funny to watch.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it seems my son is more similar to a puppy than I'd thought...

simone r said...

I read that post to our kids last night. We laughed a lot. Our dog is a bad dog too. And we also do the reverse psychology thing.