Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wednesday Book Review by Belle

Let's Pretend This Never Happened
by Jenny Lawson


Reviewed by Belle

Jenny Lawson, also known as The Bloggess, is very funny - the kind of funny that makes you snort sometimes. I started reading her blog after my mum forwarded me this post, which happened to be one of the stories she included in her new “mostly true” memoir, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened. I’m not sure what makes a good memoir; is it how much of it you can relate to? Because there’s not too much I share in common with Lawson. This book is a collection of stories about things like growing up with a crazy (but loving) father in Texas and meeting her husband while browsing alongside him in the witchcraft section of a bookshop and dealing with anxiety disorders/OCD and being strangely obsessed with zombies and taxidermied animals.


I wanted to like this book more than I did, and laugh more than I did. There were truly hilarious parts in it, including a story about laxatives which had me wheezing at one point, but I found Lawson’s chatty writing style a little wearing and predictable at times and didn’t really mind that the book ended. I’m not sure that I’d recommend the book to anyone who isn’t already a fan; I would, however, recommend her blog (I should warn you first: The Bloggess is irreverent and doesn’t mind swearing). Check out the blog, become a fan, and then consider reading this memoir.


Thanks Belle! Go check out Belle's Elbows.

No comments: