Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

New Rules Of The Sacred Blue Line

Strange things are afoot at Town Hall Station. It's like I've woken up and it's suddenly 2036, and there are flying cars and jet packs and the government can read my mind using a big Sauron-esque eye that glares away from the top of Parliament House.

You know how there's the yellow line near the edge of the platform? The one you are not meant to cross? And just behind that is the strip of braille bumps? Well now, behind that, there is a new blue line.

Train guard blokes stand at intervals of about 5 metres all along the platform, dressed in authoritative fluorescent yellow vests, with regulation caps and Madonna circa 1991 concert microphones (the one's that all the trendy preachers wear these days), and they have little fold-out fences blocking the way, so you can only be in a certain little bit of the platform. I have a feeling these guards may actually be robots. 

The new blue line boundary means there's really only room to stand one-person deep along the platform, and if you are brazen enough to touch the blue, or try to walk around somebody, you can expect a stern commanding train guards' hand to signal you back into your allotted pasture. It's all quite a thing to behold.

I only experienced this for the first time a couple of days ago, and had not yet learned the New Rules of The Sacred Blue Line. I was wearing my headphones, and casually walked around somebody, temporarily crossing the blue. A large man quickly materialised in my path, and mouthed cross words while waving his arms about at me. Lesson learned. This morning I arrived on the platform as some other guy was having a heated debate with two of Madonna's backing singers, and he turned to me and quietly murmured 'who do they think they are?'

I think I need a break from public transport, maybe it's time for me to dust off the ol' jet pack, the retro fixy one from the early 2020's.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Funny, but I wish there was ANY kind of a line at the bus stops.