Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, February 27, 2014

5:2


I've slowly put on weight over the years, and it was getting me down a fair bit. Seeing photos of myself from Christmas I was quite shocked. My face shape was becoming less Burt and more Ernie.

So anyway, I've started this diet thing, and have been trying to make a few changes. Have you heard of The Fast Diet, or the 5:2 Diet? That's what I'm doing. E's doing it too. In a nutshell, you eat normally 5 days a week, but on the other two days you fast. You can eat 500 calories on those days, which is about a quarter of what you'd usually have. Those days suck a bit, (especially after a meagre dinner when I want to knock back a couple of rows of chocolate but have to settle on a small handful of sultanas. Grumpiness ensues..) but it's great knowing tomorrow you can eat whatever you want again.

This is my fourth week on it, and it's going pretty well. I've lost a couple of kilo's, and am just generally feeling better. I've been jogging a bit too, and doing some push ups and sit ups to help things along.

6 comments:

Alistair Bain said...

I have heard of it. I don't think I could do it though. Lines of chocolate for me are like lines of another person's addictive substance.

I've lost a few kilo's over the past 3-4 months. 7 all up (I'm still 105).

I'm not doing any more exercise. I've just realised that eating to the stage of discomfort isn't necessary.

So now I am kind of used to that slight feeling of hunger. And it's OK for me.

Libby said...

We plan on giving it a go when I stop feeding T. There's a lot of brain benefit in it - pretty sure that's its main aim - reducing chance of Alzheimer's. Is that right?

Ben McLaughlin said...

Al- Nice work, mate. 7 is heaps.

Libby- I'm not sure what the main aim is. For me it's more about reducing the manboobery stakes. By the way, E is also doing it, and she's still feeding. She seems to be finding it ok.

Jessica said...

I heard of it and did some research and ended up stopping snacking. A moderate change in eating habits. I'd consider the 5:2. Lots of people are doing it on the sly I think.

Laetitia :-) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laetitia :-) said...

I'm wondering - did you talk to your GP before starting it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet
I'll be going for the other approach: getting a dog = enforced exercise through walking every day, not just when I wander down to the doc or the fish & chip shop (both 5 minutes away).

I expect it's probably better to reduce intake on all days but keep them at a steady level rather than confusing your body with the up and down nature of this diet.

If you want to go the steady restricted diet route, investigate food rationing during WWII, particularly in the UK. There was a small-scale study done a few years ago that showed just how much improvement could be gained in a week through a WWII diet.