Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

God in Disasters

We had a big discussion last night at Bible Study, and couldn't really reach agreement. We were talking about the recent terrible disasters in Burma (the cyclone), and China (the earthquake).

I asked if God still uses disasters as punishment, in the way He did in the Old Testament. My gut feeling is that He doesn't, but that He uses bad things to bring about good things, perhaps to point people to Him and to bring Himself glory.

Is this right? Are disasters the result of a fallen world? Does God let them happen, or make them happen? I still feel really unsure about all of this.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this, or know of any helpful books or passages I could read?

3 comments:

Drew said...

Hey Ben,

I just read a really helpful (and little book on this. I can lend it to you, if you like. It was prompted by the tsunami...

He discusses all these points, but I'd do a bad job trying to summarise them here. It was the best thing I'd ever read on suffering though.

The book is "The Doors of the Sea" by David Bentley Hart.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Thanks for the tip mate-- yeah, I would love to borrow it. Sounds good. (and 'little' is right up my alley)

Drew said...

Sure, I'll bring it Sunday.