Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Bus Stop

For some annoying reason, people always want to talk to me at bus stops. Every where I go, someone wants to tell me there life story. I have tried everything to avoid this. Dark sunglasses. Reading. Headphones. Spitting. But nothing works.

Is it that I don't look threatening? People don't go up and talk to threatening people. I thought I looked at least a little bit tough-- especially when I had my goatee the other week. I guess I will have to try harder. Maybe I could get a tattoo of a bar code on my neck. No sane person starts a friendly chat with someone who has a bar code on their neck, surely. Or perhaps I could stop bathing and paint some boils on my skin. That should give me a bit of a buffer zone.

This morning it happened again. Let me set the scene. I am at the bus stop, half asleep. It is 6:30am and the sun isn't even up. It is freezing. There is one other woman, probably in her mid- thirties, at the bus stop. We haven't made any eye contact.

I reach into my bag to get my scarf (yeah, that one), and as I am putting it on, the lady says, "You won't be cold now!". I smile and say "No". End of conversation. Fast forward one minute later, and I know her name, that she is divorced, has a daughter, that her ex is a good father but a bad husband, that she goes to tafe, works as a chef, and is of Indian- Fijian descent. So much information, and I have done nothing to encourage it. Now, don't get me wrong, she was a nice lady. But still. Do I need to know this stuff? It's 6:30. The moon is still out. I am not ready for a meet and greet until at least high noon.

Then came the part that I hate the most. The bus came, and suddenly all these rules of etiquette come in to play. Do I say goodbye (or cheerio, as the case may be) before the bus stops, and end it there? She hasn't stopped talking long enough for me to do that. I have to be polite and let her on first, so I can't just leg it up to the back seat where I usually sit.

She gets on first, and sits down. Do I have to sit next to her? She's made room for me to do so. Or can I just smile and keep walking up to my usual seat? On the spot, I decide on a compromise, and sit on the seat opposite her. Not rude, and (unfortunately) still in talking distance.

She talks a little more, and when conversation dries up there's a little awkwardness. Can I get my book out and read yet? I give it five minutes to not seem rude, before taking it out. Very carefully and subtly I edge my way away from the aisle side of the seat and towards the window, and ever so slowly raise my book. At last, a safe buffer.

Now I need to get me one of those Groucho Marx disguises for tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

trish said...

LOL Ben, one of my great paranoias in life too! Although, my feared scenario is running into an acquaintance at the train station. If I make the mistake of saying hello, I could well be stuck with them the entire length of the trip into the city, when all I want to do is drift off into my own little world for half an hour.