Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Markets

We went to Rozelle markets today. I love sifting through junk to find treasure, be it at markets, garage sales or second hand book shops. But, I have to admit, sometimes the ratio of junk to treasure is pretty ridiculous. From time to time one man's trash might be another man's treasure, but mostly, one man's trash is every other man's trash as well.

I heard a woman talking about some item of clothing as 'a rare piece', fingering the fabric as though it were expensive silk. Lady, dragging your Nanna's old shirt from the rag bag, removing the shoulder pads, and ripping off the K- Mart label does not make it a 'rare piece'. And if it is rare, it's probably for good reason.

Still, I quickly forget about the annoying people and mouldy cd's and want to go back there soon enough.

1 comment:

trish said...

ah yes, I totally love Rozelle markets. There's nothing like sifting through all the junk to pull out a real treasure. I was only down the road from you as well, visiting the markets at Orange Grove PS.