Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Persuasion: A Case Study

In an effort to respond to you loyal Jane Austen fans, I would like to write a second post to prove that it is not that I didn't 'get' the nuances, but that rather the nuances were not very interesting once gotten. Just humour me, if you will.

Seeing as though Persuasion is fresh in my mind, let's focus on that. Now, once we strip this story of all the things so dear to the genre -- the picnics, the walks by the lake, the piano recitals, the letter-writing sequences, the flouncy dresses, the silly hair-- what remains is this, as far as I can tell:

When she was a teenager, our protagonist Anne was in love with a poor sailor, one Frederick Wentworth. Her relatives thought he was a bit of a dud, because he wasn't rich, and persuaded her to give him the flick. She realises she did the wrong thing and pines away for EIGHT YEARS.

Now, by some convenient coincidence, our Frederick Wentworth just happens to stop by her house. Oh, and look, he's more handsome and perfect than ever. Oh yes, and is also now exceedingly rich. Gee... where is this story going? I just can't figure it out, as I am so blinded by nuance.

Anne basically does nothing except pine some more for the rest of the story, until old mate finally gets around to saying he still likes her. They live happily ever after.

Now come on, people. She acted like a dope in the first place, does nothing to rectify it, and then is rewarded with millionaire Prince Charming without having to do ANYTHING. Do you not want more from your lead character? If her 'interesting character flaw' is that she is easily persuaded, when does she ever deal with this?

You want nuance and character development? Pathos? A journey? Okay, check this out. This is how you could touch the story up a little so that our protagonist has to actually deal with some issues:

When she was a teenager, our protagonist Anne was in love with a poor sailor, one Frederick Wentworth. Her relatives thought he was a bit of a dud, because he wasn't rich, and persuaded her to give him the flick. She realises she did the wrong thing and pines away for EIGHT YEARS.

Sick of being such an easily persuaded pawn, she shuns her family and goes in search of Freddy Wentworth, determined to persuade him to give her another shot. After a long search full of tribulations (for example, a haunted house, or a run-in with a ghost)she finds him. The years have not been kind. The war has left him a pauper, with only the dirty clothes on his back. The war has also left him horribly disfigured, and a cripple.

What does she do? She was so determined to persuade him, and now she must persuade herself(notice, my clever use of the word 'persuade', alluding to the title). Can she love this monstrosity? Is he not still the same man she pledged undying love for?

So. Now that I have convinced you, what do you think? Good story, huh. More nuance than you can poke a stick at. No, no, it's okay, you don't need to thank me.

8 comments:

Ali said...

Hmmm, this reminds me of a story I once heard, called Jane Eyre - except that one did have a "nuance" (the existing wife locked up in the attic). The problem with that story is it's not all that applicable. Austen appeals to people because it's a little more like their own lives (except where ARE those single men, in possession of a large fortune, who must be in want of a wife? - perhaps your reconstruction is more realistic after all) ...
Anyway, I am pleased I freaked you out earlier (took those posts down). I suspect you quite enjoyed the freaking? It was the ghost of Ali posting in from the nether realm, come back to haunt the blogosphere, because once upon a time she felt slighted by the self-appointed blog police ...

Simone R. said...

Love it!

Except, of course, you're wrong.

Persuasion is beautifully subtle. Not in it's main story line which is simple enough - but in the way it paints the characters. Particularly Anne's sisters, father and sisters in law. They are so well done. Have you read the book?

Simone R. said...

I didn't watch persuasion the other night. My sister-in-law blogged on it. She wasn't impressed.

http://jcrankers.blogspot.com/

I say, read the book.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Ali, I know that you liked my version, though it's a bit harsh to say that Jane Eyre had no nuance:) I think it's very applicable. Is it not more of a realistic challenge that we have to struggle to love those who are hard to love? (or in this case are grotesquely disfigured). I can relate more to that than some millionaire turning up to solve all my problems. Lets agree to disagree, but still agree that my story rocks and is completely awesome.

Simone, thanks for seeing the awesomeness of my story. Does 'subtlety' mean 'nothing happens'? If so, yes you are so right. You are right though, maybe Have I read the book? I choose to take that as a rhetorical question.

thanks for the link-- it sounds like everybody agrees that the movie was a dud. But if the plot remains as threadbare in the book, I can't see that it could be THAT much better.

Ben McLaughlin said...

btw, did anybody notice how cool those scars look on that guy?

Ali said...

Ben, well, confession, I did like your post! Very entertaining :). But who said Jane Eyre had no nuance?? OK, so agree that it's a struggle in this world to love unloveable men ;), but how many people get to the altar only to discover that there is a mad woman locked in the attic back home?
Anyway, I'm sticking to reading the classics and you can have your horrors - and I shall look forward to the Northanger Abbey review!

trish said...

he, he...ok so it's everything you guys promised it would be (this morning) + more!

Ali said...

Yes, well I just finished Northanger Abbey and I can't wait! :) I am sure you could have a field day with that one!! But don't you think it's fine that Henry understands muslin??