Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Reader

A few years ago I became sad when I realised that I wasn't a reader. I had barely read a novel in years. It made me sad to hear people talking about all these classic books, knowing that I had never read them. So feeling like I was missing out, I decided to become a reader, probably around 2003 or 2004.

I made a list of authors and books that I wanted to read, and have been working my way through. I am a pretty slow, easily distracted reader, but have gotten through a few. So, I thought I would list the books that I have read and particularly liked since then. By the way, where there are multiple books by an author is where I have particularly loved a book and read more.

Charles Dickens- Great Expectations

Mark Twain-
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

William Faulkner- Go Down, Moses, As I Lay Dying, A Soldiers Pay, The Sound and the
Fury, The Unvanquished, Absalom, Absalom

F. Scott Fitzgerald- The Great Gatsby

Annie Proulx- The Shipping News, Postcards

Harper Lee- To Kill A Mockingbird

John Steinbeck- The Moon Is Down, Of Mice and Men, Cannery Row

Daniel Defoe-
Robinson Crusoe

Richard Adams-
Watership Down

Henry James-
The Turn Of the Screw

Ernest Hemmingway- The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom The Bell Tolls

Micheal Ondaatje- In The Skin Of a Lion

Cormac McCarthy-
No Country For Old Men

J.D. Salinger
-
Catcher In the Rhye, Raise High The Roofbeams Carpenters, For Esme- With Love and Squalor

Annie Dillard- An American Childhood, Pilgrim At Tinker Creek (1/2 way through..)


Has anybody got any other recommendations?

5 comments:

Chris said...

Thats a great list you got there! I did the same thing...I wasn't much of a reader 10 years ago but all that has changed and once you start a regular pattern, you can't stop! Extra brain cells! Yeah!

Chris said...

I'm still laughing at manfrog!!!

Ben McLaughlin said...

Nice to have a kindred spirit:)

lu said...

Why isn't Jane Austen on this list!?!

And what about 'Little Women' - now that's a true classic.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Lu, don't make me come over there..