Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Young People

You know you're getting old when teenagers become increasingly alien, unintelligible and scary. I used to feel like I could hold my own with a teenager. I knew their music. I got their fashions. I understood their language. I had their respect. But now, I'm old and unhip, and I find myself always silently tut tutting them, and being afraid of them when they congregate in large groups.

On my way home last night, I overheard the mobile phone conversation, of an ordinary looking teenage girl. In every sentence their seemed to be some word that I didn't understand. Also, she would call her female friend 'man'. She would say, "Devvo, man, devvo!", which I think in our language might mean 'devastated'. She would say, "Aww whatev's, man, whatev's" as a new and improved way of saying 'whatever'. At the end of the conversation she said "well, that sounds hell chat". I have heard this one from my friend Pete, but still. What the heck is hell chat? A conversation of a lot of words, but not a lot of substance.

On the other hand, I have a much deeper affiliation for old people...

2 comments:

trish said...

Ha...I guess I can at least take comfort in knowing I was also totally uncool when I was a teenager. But you know, whatever!

Ben McLaughlin said...

yeah, whatev's