Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, August 15, 2008

Brand Me

I try to avoid having big brand names and slogans splashed across my clothing, and would rather wear something more nondescript. To me, it feels a bit 'look at me'ish. Please notice how much I have spent on my wardrobe.. please?

The other thing that concerns me about it, is that your chosen brands say something about you, and from this point on you have the pressure of having to live up to these expectations.

Let's take the guy sitting in front of me on the bus this morning as our case study. A regular sort of guy, about thirty. A bit slobby, a bit overweight. A bit of bum crack showing. Scuffed shoes. And yet all over his pants, jumper, jacket and beanie we see such slogans, brands and claims as "Champion", "No Fear" and "Everlast". We have a discrepancy, people.

Now don't get me wrong, I like a bit of self-belief, and I reckon self-confidence is an attractive trait. But surely this guy is either setting himself up for a fall, or just kidding himself. My friend, are you a champion of the calibre that deserves it written across your back? Are you really actually without fear? I am impressed. And is it true that you will actually last forever? If so, I have nothing but sheer admiration for your greatness.

I say, if you are going to go to the effort of having these slogans written on you, you may as well go the whole hog. If I had a sporting brand, it would be called--

Don't hold back. If you know you're bloody great, then just say so properly. Another equivalent is these people wandering about with their Fitness First backpacks. This is a big claim. Is it the truth? You do realise that toting this backpack means you can't stroll in to McDonalds for lunch, don't you? It also means you can't be lighting up those durries in public either. My suggestion is go for something a little more manageable and attainable, until you are really at the peak of your game. Something like this--

2 comments:

Pedro said...

Benno...you are awesome!!!

better copyright that before someone gets it and makes a fortune.

Ben McLaughlin said...

:) I'll screenprint you up an I'm Awesome t-shirt if you like