Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, August 29, 2008

The Dream

I came across this photograph on the net, by some bloke called Eirik Johnson ages ago, and for some reason saved it on to my computer. It makes me feel happy when I look at it, because it makes me think about our dream/plan of moving down the coast.

I know the sky looks kinda gloomy, and it has a wintery vibe to it, but the warm orangey light from inside looks cosey. I imagine us all huddled inside by a fireplace, and I have the slow cooker cranking, ready for dinner. Probably stew.

The little blue shed behind the house would be my studio, and I would work from home, plus do painting and music stuff in there. I like that the yard looks rough and ready, and I imagine working on Saturdays to get it into shape-- pulling up those brown weed things, pruning the trees, building a vege patch, mowing the grass.

I imagine beyond the left edge of the picture, the terrain just rambles out into a rough sort of paddock, with hills and bushland beyond. Plenty of room to explore, play with the kids, and paint.

The brown house behind ours belongs to an elderly couple. When we are both out in our yards, we have a chat. I discuss rose growing and stew making with the lady, and tree pruning, books and sport with the bloke.

Good times.

No comments: