Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, September 19, 2008

Misty Moderns

A kind reader sent me a link this morning about an exhibition currently showing in Adelaide, that will be coming to Sydney next year. I am hugely excited about it!

The exhibition is called Misty Moderns, and is about Australian Tonalism, which is my favourite kind of painting, and what I aspire to. The movement was started by a contreversial guy called Max Meldrum, and his star pupil was, you guessed it, my beloved Clarice Beckett.

Nick Carrol wrote this about the exhibition--

Sixteen works by Clarice Beckett, who died in 1935, show what a vastly underrated artist she was. There is not a brushstroke too many in any of her paintings. Her works are particularly misty. Perhaps it’s because of the wintry weather in Melbourne, where she lived, and perhaps it’s because she always painted in the early morning or late evening. But her paintings are not only misty, they are thick with an air of mystery. They get the imagination working overtime.

I am very excited!

No comments: