Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Flattery Gets You Nowhere

After going to bed last night, I got up again and went and sat in the lounge room for ages, as I had a bunch of stuff going through my mind. I would like to say I was up thinking, but really what I was doing was sulking and wallowing in self pity. I was thinking, acting and speaking like a real fool.

This morning on the way to work I tried to work through it, and talked through with myself what was at the heart of it all. I was surprised to discover that really it was all stemming from pride. Thinking myself too highly. Craving respect and not seeing myself with 'sober judgement'. Valuing wanting to be recognised and heard over righteousness. I have quoted this line before, but it applies so much to me that I'll say it again--

In his own eyes he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin. (Psalm 36)

No comments: