Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, October 10, 2008

Sad Songs

I'm going to a 'Sad Songs and Red Wine' night at a friend's place tonight. Should be fun. Well, fun in a sad, male-bonding, crying sort of way. The idea is to bring three sad songs and a bottle of red.

I'm still finalising my shortlist though. Being a melancholy sort of bloke, I have a lot of sad songs to wade through. And being an obsessive, neurotic sort of bloke I spend way too much time thinking about the possibilities. Who is the audience? Sad as in bad or sad as in crying? What if they play my songs first? What a waste of my perfect choices that would be...

Etc.

But here's my probable three (or four)--

1.
Thoughts of You- Dennis Wilson (the last minute of that song breaks my heart)

2.
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out- The Smiths (an all time fav)

3.
Superstar- The Carpenters (I love Karen)

4.
Flame Trees- Cold Chisel (people are way too quick to write off this band. This song is amazing)

What would make your shortlist?

2 comments:

soph said...

That's a cool idea, but I'm imagining lots of awkward reflective silences..

I guess that's what the wine's for?

*sip*..... *sip*

Not sure, I love sad songs too. Probably something by Art of Fighting would be in there, and perhaps Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Oh yeah Eleanor Rigby is a great choice..

I'm expecting lots of private angst (especially from me)-- 'why are they all talking over my three songs? Don't they realise these are some of the greatest songs ever written?'