Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, November 21, 2008

Four Eyes

Well, it's official. I have astigmatism and require glasses for 'close work'. I am actually kind of happy, as now I know the reason for all the headaches and the strain of reading. I don't mind the idea of having glasses. Apparently they make you smarter, and also somewhat more refined. See there's proof--I just used the word 'somewhat', which I probably wouldn't have, pre- eyecheck. It's working already.

I kind of enjoyed the eye test. I liked the big old fashioned contraption, and that they took notes, as if I was some interesting experiment. I was a bit disappointed when they said my condition was 'very common'. I was wanting 'Wow, I've never seen this in my forty three years of optometrist-ing. Only one in seven billion people have what you have. Would you mind terribly if I wrote a journal article case study about you?'

Sigh. You're never as special as you want to be.

I chose some frames on the spot and they'll be good to go in about a week. I'm amped. Bad eyesight is the new black, baby.

11 comments:

Christine said...

hehe Ben, well, I'm glad you have a solution now. Guess it will be time for me to bite the bullet also... thanks for taking the leap before me :)

Ben McLaughlin said...

aww, you gotta try it, Christine. Everybody's doing it.

Pedro said...

getting glasses is so last week...

What sort of frames did you pick neeeeerrrrrdddddd?

Ben McLaughlin said...

The dopest ones ever.

kinda basic ones. I didnt want the frames to be too dark or thick. But with sturdy arms.

Ruth said...

Lol!

Glad you've god some answers. My second boy, 'b', is picking up new glasses today for.....wait for it.....astigmatism!!! So you're definitely in good company!

Ruth said...

Forgot to say - yeah, I enjoyed watching the eye examinations...till I had to sit through it the third time that afternoon, (and my other kids waiting in the waiting room started rioting!!! - not my favourite afternoon this week!)

Drew said...

some interesting experiment

Yes, you are. ;)

Ben McLaughlin said...

Ruth- cool, B and I can be twins! Like the Proclaimers..

Oh yeah, the test was pretty lenghty.. I can imagine it getting old pretty fast with multiple goes!

Drew- ahh, I thought so..

Ruth said...

I posted some photos of 'B' this arvo...are the frames similar?? !!

He raced home with the glasses and read a book. He's so excited to be able to read more clearly. (and which parent wouldn't be pleased with that!)

Anonymous said...

Glasses ROCK! Too bad they're so expensive...take good care of yours, don't lose them or sit on them...no pressure. :)

Ben McLaughlin said...

Hi Ruth-- B looks great in his specs! Yeah mine are similar, but with the arms a little thicker. I feel exactly the same-- can't wait to race home when I get them and do some reading:)

Hi Chris- Yeah they are a bit pricey.. I am very frightened that I will lose or break them. Even more worried now, thanks!