Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, November 14, 2008

People are Strange

People baffle me. I don't understand how the human brain works. I see people on the train and am rendered dumbstruck at what I encounter in mankind.

I was looking at this man, say, in his forties. A fairly regular sort of guy. He had gone bald so had wisely opted to shave completely. I mean a real close shave, so there was no sign whatsoever of stubble. I stared, marveling at this pristine scalp. It was amazingly shiny, to the extent that I almost had to avert my eyes. Not only could I see my own reflection, but I also caught glimpses of my future in there. I would even go as far as to say that I could eat my lunch off that chrome dome without even gagging, it was in such immaculate condition.

But you see, this is where I become baffled. Scan down the forehead a little and this man has the most unruly, ridiculously long and crazy eyebrows. Not just thick, but like a prickly brier patch pouring out of his face, each strand with a mind of it's own, sort of Medusa-esque. And to the point where his vision is probably getting impaired.

So what I am left with is the hard task of reconciling how a man can love his scalp to such an extent, whilst paying no heed and utterly neglecting what is literally right before his eyes. I came to the conclusion that it must be some sort of split personality disorder, where this poor man has these Hyde eyebrows constantly working against his Jekyll scalp.

My bafflement turned to pity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too funny!!! Great artwork :)

Ben McLaughlin said...

Thanks Chris:)