Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, January 16, 2009

Closing My Fists

I read this quote yesterday on Ali's blog, and it's been on my mind ever since. It really hit home to me.

The objects of most of our desires are not evil. The problem is the way they tend to grow and the control they come to exercise over our hearts. Desires are part of human existence, but they must be held with an open hand ... The problem with desire is that in sinners it very quickly morphs into demands (‘I must’). Demand is the closing of my fists over a desire.

Even though I may be unaware that I have done it, I have left my proper position of submission to God. I have decided that I must have what I have set my heart on and nothing can stand in my way. I am no longer comforted by God’s desire for me; I am threatened by it, because God’s will potentially stands in the way of my demand ...

--Paul Tripp

Last night E and I were looking at this passage from James 4, and it seemed to tie into this same idea. I reckon I've got some thinking to do about all this.

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."

3 comments:

Pedro said...

Can I?...

Giraffe Pen said...

This is exactly what God's been opening my eyes up to in the last few weeks. It's incredible.

kristina said...

Good lesson. I needed to be reminded of this. It is hard to give up control and trust that God knows what will be best.