Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More On Dog People

Do you suppose it is wrong to wage a vendetta against dog people? That's good, I don't either.

So, I was watching Oprah the other day in my lunch break (sad, I know), and the show was basically a big memorial tribute to her recently deceased dog, whose name was something cute like Fifi, or Miffy, or Tofu, or something. It was the most appalling thing I have seen on tele in a long time, and it put me right off my lunch.

They cut to a long, slow-motion montage of the 'good times', set to some sort of Wind Beneath My Wings-esque boo-hoo ballad. Oprah and Tofu frolicking in the park. Oprah and Tofu picnicking. Oprah and Tofu kissing on the lips (I kid you not). (Do dogs have lips?).

After the montage, we cut back to a sobbing Oprah, and an applauding, teary audience. Ope's goes 'go to a commercial, go to a commercial!' It was all just too much for her.

Now don't think me hard-hearted. I don't mind dogs, and if one dies, that is very sad. But please, Dog People, know where to draw the line. In Matthew 7:6 it says 'do not give to dogs what is sacred'. This includes slow-motion montages.

6 comments:

Pedro said...

TURN IT OFF.


problem solved.


She is one of the richesy women on earth so something tells me you may be in the minority here brethra.
Don't get me wrong. I love dogs. I loved a dog. I miss him heaps, as one would miss a loyal companion.
Do I wanna watch a show about some overrated TV 'personality'. bleating on about HER dog, while the advertisng revenue alone for that show in one ad break surpasses anything you will make in a year?
NO.

TURN IT OFF.




zzzzzz, cynical old derro now, am I not?

Ben McLaughlin said...

But if I turned it off, I'd have no post for today.

I did eventually turn it off. It was just like a train wreck that you couldn't quite bring yourself to look away from.

lu said...

Ohhhh....Oprah! Ohhhhh....Ben! Ohhhhh.....Tofu....seriously....Tofu!?!

I for one am glad you didn't turn it off, Ben. Gave me a good laugh and I didn't even have to turn it on!

Tracy said...

Amen, brother!

Rene Pfitzner said...

I was there and this captures the general mood of the room perfectly. It was cringey.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Nice working with ya, Rene-- all the best with college, bro.