Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Speech Diary

It was very good to get back to the clinic yesterday. It was like a footy team finally getting to half time and being able to talk to their coach, after losing the game plan in the first half. (Wow, I could totally be a sports writer).

I feel more grounded now, and know what I need to do to get back on track. I was also encouraged to hear that everyone had also struggled in this first week out. They also made me see I'm too hard on myself, and that even my worst talking moments of the week have been far better than my best times before the course.

I got to see my before and after video, which just blew me away. I guess I didn't realise just how drastic the change was. I was amazed at how bad I was, and just how sad, defeated, and tense I looked. Hunched shoulders, no eye contact, big facial contortions with every stutter.

To cut to the video of Friday afternoon, I just looked very different-- no stuttering, relaxed, composed, looking at the camera. Wow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true that many of us are too hard on ourselves... I really think you ought to give yourself a praise now and then. From my point of view, the changes in your speech have been nothing short of remarkable (truly). Good on you, Ben, for working so hard...I know that it didn't come easily, but with hard work.

Cheers
AY

Ben McLaughlin said...

Thankyou for that:)

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, Ben. What an encouragement.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Thanks a lot, Ben-- and thanks for dropping by