Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, March 30, 2009

Bread Of Life

I went to an interesting and eye-opening thing early yesterday morning before church.

Me and a few other people from bible study went to a soup-kitchen type thing at Surrey Hills for homeless people, helping set up, cook and serve breakfast for about 50 people.

I was on baked bean/spaghetti duty, just serving out as each person came up with a plate. Then I sat at a table and tried as best I could to have a couple of conversations. It was pretty daunting.

It felt good to be of some practical use to these people, but it was pretty distressing to see the depths that some of them were at. One man must have come up about five times, each time taking about ten slices of toast.

Anyway, I'd like to do it again.

3 comments:

Christine said...

hey Ben. My group is also interested in doing this - could you pass me the details? ta.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Hi Christine, Cool-- Pete or Leila would be the ones to talk to about getting involved

Christine said...

thanks Ben