Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, April 24, 2009

The Pretend Befriend

You know who I don't understand? People who seem so keen to be your mate, and then you never see them again. We should definitely do dinner some time! We should definitely do this, we should definitely do that! And then nothing.

Now I know what you're thinking. Maybe he's giving off a sad-person vibe, and people feel sorry for him and say that to make him feel better. But really, it's not that. I am not hunting down new friends. As my friend Emma once said "I can make my own people now". So why the pretend befriend? I'm baffled.

My favourite example of this was my driving instructor (who incidentally had a prosthetic leg. Not crucial to the story, but just for the sake of character description). I was a late bloomer with this whole driving a car caper, and only got my licence just before we had the kids. I was still a bit crap, so I got a few lessons off a driving instructor.

Our relationship was purely business, and there wasn't a lot of chitchat. I drove bad, and he criticised me and hit the special extra brake pedal in the passenger seat with his plastic foot. Not close mates. A teacher and his pupil.

But then, as he dropped me off after the final lesson, out of nowhere he says, "We should have you and your wife over for dinner some time."

"Oh?", I replied.

"I have this great fish recipe that I do in the oven. You wrap it in foil, and serve it with roast potatoes. It's beautiful".

"Oh?"

"How about, say, three weekends from now? Would a Saturday night suit you guys?"

"Sounds...good..."

And that was that. Three weekends later? Nothing. Two years later now? Still nothing.

I just don't understand these people. It is more than fine that we don't catch up for dinner. Truly. But why go to the trouble of saying all that? Why?

The saddest part of it all is that I will go to my grave without having tried that special fish recipe.

6 comments:

onlinesoph said...

Amen Ben!!

For some reason the "pretend befriend" people I've had in my life have also happened to be the people who like to call me "sophie".

why is this???

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yikes, that's a worry.. I think I've always called you Sophie..

Say, are you and Sam free in three weeks time? I have this great recipe..

Christine said...

haha Ben :)

lu said...

Yea - I had a couple of aquaintances like that. They would always say "we *have* to get together soon and have dinner or something." There were never any actual plans made following that statement. I think I tried to make plans with one of these ladies once. It probably fell through.

I began to expect this on the occasions we would happen to 'run into each other'. I decided they just said that to make themselves feel better or something. Then I would just go along with it and say "yes, we should" knowing that the plans would never happen.

And, again Ben, you had me laughing out loud in front of my computer while reading your prosthetic driving instructor story! Thanks! :)

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yeah, I know Lu.. sometimes you just have to play along with the crazy game.

onlinesoph said...

I don't think you've ever called me sophie?! hehe.