Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Psalm 32: Day Five

Bit and Bridle

9 Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.


The imagery and sentiment of this verse (like Psalm 73:22, 'I was senseless and ignorant;I was a brute beast before you')cuts very close to the bone for me, and comes as a timely rebuke when I read it.

This is exactly how I feel when I am allowing myself to be led by my sinful nature- like a dumb, brute beast who has no self control, no feeling, no remorse, no thought. When everything crumbles down around me as a result, I turn back to God, but only then.

Only when I feel that pain of the bit and bridle being pulled do I stop and think again with sober judgement. And there is no reason or excuse for me reducing myself to that. I was not made an animal, I was made in the image of God.

No comments: