Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, May 1, 2009

Good Movie, Bad Movie

Sometimes I see a poster for a movie, and it basically encompasses everything that I wouldn't want in a movie. I saw one such example this morning..

There is not one aspect of this that appeals to my sensibilities. Everything about it repels me. The annoyingly smug Matthew Mac. The strange orange tones of their faces. The holding of the scarf gesture that says, 'oh, Matt Mac, you lovable rogue, you'. The dull as dishwater line, 'you can't always run from your past'. Yawn.

On the other hand, sometimes I stumble across a poster that encapsulates everything I want in a movie, like this one I found the other day..

The old-style horror vibe. Vincent Price in that cool hat. Stuff about witches. The not very well drawn picture. The awesome block-letter logo. The licking flames in the background. And last but not least, the much better line, 'They reveled in torture and murder, all in the name of justice.'

How could I not want to see that.

2 comments:

lu said...

coincidentally, my husband was just expressing similar opinions of the matt movie tonight. he said he has absolutely no interest in seeing it. then he looked at me and asked, "you want to see it, don't you?"

oh yea - guilty as charged.

Ben McLaughlin said...

and I bet it was the scarf gesture that subconsciously hooked you in, lu.