Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Blind Man And His Dog

While my distaste for dogs and dog owners is well documented (note to self: insert link here), one exception that always warms my heart is the guide dog and the blind person.

I see this bloke get on the bus of a morning with his guide dog, and I love to watch them do their thing. The dog is so calm and smart, and just goes about his business with a funny dead-pan expression on his face, leading the man up the aisle to the same seat on the right, third from the back, every time.

I love then watching the man take off the guiding thing that goes around the dogs' neck, and then patting him and talking to him with gratitude, saying he did a good job. I love watching the connection between them, the steady loyalty of the dog, and the trusting, loving affection of the man in return. Seeing them immediately makes my day.

2 comments:

RodeoClown said...

The other day I was walking down the stairs in the QVB, where they have put in stupid new handrails that extend past the end of the stairs.

There was a blind lady in front of me whose guide dog walked under the end of the new handrail, resulting in the lady getting whacked in the guts by it.

She was fine - she wasn't going very fast, but she was a bit annoyed at the dog - grabbing it's muzzle and pointing at the rail to teach it to look up I guess...

I wasn't sure whether I was allowed to smile at that or not, but I figured, she wouldn't see me, so why not :D

sophg said...

tres cool