Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hobbies

I go through periods of obsession, where I get into something, and that's all I want to do or think about. Then in an instant I lose interest and obsess about something else.

Are you like that, or do you stay interested in something for a long time?

Right now my dual obsessions are 80's thrash metal and Conan comics. And actually, they go together very well, kinda like strawberries and cream.

But while these things are very awesome, I worry that these may be two of the less edifying, unuseful, solitary hobbies I've had in recent times. It may be a bit of a relief if the obsession wains.

3 comments:

Pedro said...

hmmmmm?....Obsessions.

I expect you would have not been surpriswed to hear from moi.

My obsessions tend to become all enveloping and go on for bloody years..As you know.

They are still going!!! and no. No one wants to hear about it.....still.

Maybe the stuff you find yourself interested in wanes because there is no outcome or development between you and the 'hobby'? No progression or growth so it stagnates and dies...

Just my .02

Ben McLaughlin said...

that's something I admire about you- you love that one thing, and you've been into it for years.

I don't think that's the exact reason.. maybe for some of my hobbies, but not in general, I don't think. At christmas I was super obbsessed with painting, and I felt like I was making progress. Then all of a sudden, one day I just stop being keen. But then I'll probably become keen again in several months time or something, for no apparent reason.

Simone R. said...

Solitary times with thrash metal and comics sounds like perfect escapism for a dad of 2 littlies. Enjoy the obsession while it lasts!