Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jeans, Bloody Jeans

This morning I satisfied my curiosity and tried on a pair of skinny jeans.

Results: Sub-par.

Now, believe it or not, I wasn't trying them on in an attempt to reclaim my youth and mix it with the cool Gen Y kids I have such a high opinion of. Really. No, it's just that I cannot bloody find a pair of bloody jeans that bloody fit right. Sorry for the cussing, but honestly, I'm sick of it.

All I want is a narrowish, straightish pair that fits. Not fancy. Not with silly faded bits and on-purpose creases and rips. Just normal bloody pants.

Everyone always recommends to me the 'straight leg' and the 'boot cut', but these never work for me. I have kind of skinny chicken legs, and after a couple of wears, the boot cut that looked okay in the dressing room now look like Hammer pants, with big, wide jodhpur-ish Aladdin flappy bits around the thighs.

So I resorted to the 'skinny' in desperation, but was dismayed to find the results similarly undesirable. As I suspected, I kinda looked like this. Maybe if I was a foot taller, a decade younger and sported 60% less muffin top I may have been able to cut it. But alas, no.

So now I am completely out of jean-options and may just throw in the towel with life in general. Don't try and console me, I'm sulking.

10 comments:

RodeoClown said...

You need cargo pants!

Ben McLaughlin said...

nope. cargo pants are just Hammer pants in army colours.

SamR said...

I almost gave up on jeans when my fav levi cut was discontinued. What could ever replace the 520?

Now I've switched to the 502 which is almost the same cut... almost.

Ben McLaughlin said...

what are 502's like?

emfolle said...

I once wrote a letter to JAG jeans because they discontinued the line of jeans I used to wear to complain. Jeans are emotional clothes.

Anonymous said...

ahh the muffin top. I went for my second run this week. It's getting bad and I am losing the need for a belt on a lot of my pants

Anonymous said...

Shopping for jeans is STRESSFUL! Skinny, stovepipe, bootcut, straight cut, flare; rigid, stretch.. and your favourite pair invariably gets discontinued in about a year so that you are forced to go through the shopping process again. When something fits, buy more than one.
AY

Ben McLaughlin said...

good on you for being proactive, em. Definately emotional clothes.

Hey geoff.. yeah I've gotta get back to my jogging. Bloody exercise.

Hey AY- yeah, next time I find a pair I like, I'm going to buy about 9 pairs.

ps- hope yr having a nice break:)

Christine said...

I am so with you on this Ben, I've been trying to find a good fit pair of jeans for months now. I've almost given up..

onlinesoph said...

I think you and Sam may have the same legs - he also has issues with jeans. I always say if you find a pair of jeans you love, buy two or three so you can have them for years and years.