Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, July 13, 2009

Speech Diary

On Saturday I tried out my first support group for stutterers. It felt like a big step, and I was really pleased to have finally done it. I was looking for any excuse to pull out, but E was really cool in encouraging me to go. I'd been meaning to since my intensive in February, but was, well, frightened.

It was a 'maintenance' day run by Speakeasy, and was a group of about ten or fifteen people. we just all worked on the techniques, and practiced talking, reading, and getting up in front of the group.

Most people there were between about 50 and 70, so I felt a bit out of place, but I still found it beneficial. I'll go along again, and at the same time try out another group I've heard about.

Feels good to not be alone in a struggle.

2 comments:

jen-e-ren said...

Good on you Ben, for not only being so brave in doing something about a situation you're not happy with, but for being so open about your struggles too.
On ya man :)

Ben McLaughlin said...

thanks heaps jen. I really appreciate that.

ps Happy Birthday!