Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Brief Foray Into Facebook

I checked out Facebook for the first time ever the other day. E is on it, so she logged in for me (if that's the right terminology) and I had a squiz at all the old peeps from high school.

It was very disconcerting. Strange to see ex-girlfriends now with new surnames, a couple of kids and looking fairly mumsy. Strange (yet pleasurable) to see the annoyingly popular guys now kinda fat and balding.

Anyways, here are some impressions that I gleaned from my brief Facebook foray:

* People like to cram as much 'I'm doing great and am a success' information into their little profile photo.

* If you have a family, you choose a photo of you and your brood on holidays, lounging about contentedly on some beach. This says, 'oh, the times we have'.

* If you are a kinda tubby, balding guy you choose a picture of you standing in front of your shiny red car, wearing sunnies, and looking awesome. This is to assure the casual browser, 'yes, I'm balding and eat a fair bit of KFC, but I am also rich and successful, so ner'.

* The people you really wanted to see what they now look like have some random silly photo of a sunset or a motorbike.

4 comments:

RodeoClown said...

Want to be my friend on facebook?

Also - The Ben McLaughlin Coalition.

Ben McLaughlin said...

I'd like to, but then I have to actually join, don't I?

But, hold the phone! There's a Ben McLaughlin Coalition! Wow, that is very awesome. i should join just so I can be in The Coalition.


Oh, and to be your friend as well, of course.

RodeoClown said...

Yeah, I did a search for you, and saw that you hadn't actually signed up (as far as I could tell - there was a gay activist Ben McLaughlin in Melbourne, but I figured that wasn't you).

But I did find the Ben McLaughlin Coalition...


BTW - I'm assuming your lastname is pronounced Mac-Lock-lin, and not Mac-Laugh-line - is that right?

Pedro said...

Benno, I have a motorbike.
So, ner.