Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, August 21, 2009

Humility

Jesus isn't less than God, or God the Father. Jesus is God, and He's equal to God the Father. But He did not count equality with God something to be grasped.

Jesus didn't hold onto all of His rights with a closed fist, He opened His hand. Jesus said, 'I'll get off my throne, and I'll come in a manger. Instead of hearing angels cry "Holy! Holy! Holy!", I'll hear crowds crying, "Crucify him! Crucify him! Crucify him!"

Jesus said, 'I'll give up all my rights. I deserve to be loved, and obeyed and enjoyed, and viewed in glory, and praised. But I'm just going going to give all that up. I have a right to it, but I'm going to set aside my rights.

How many of you have ever done this? How many of you get very frustrated- 'I deserve better, I deserve to be praised, I deserve a better job. I deserve more glory, more respect, more obedience.

Jesus said, 'I let all that go'. He made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, born in the likeness of men.


From this talk by Mark Driscoll. Well worth a listen.