Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, August 10, 2009

Small Things Excite Me, It's True

E's having a bunch of girls over tonight after dinner, and so I thought I should make myself scarce, lest I be caught up in a wave of unbridled femininity. Dangerous. Who knows what could happen.. Scrapbooking? Sewing? Drinking tea from teacups? Other bad stereotypes?

'But what', I said to myself, 'would be open at that time of night, that would interest me?' Not much. But then, Eureka!

Gould's Bookshop in Newtown! To those who don't know, Gould's is a gigantic, grubby old shop, with piles and piles of old books, and the odd cat sitting here and there. And it stays open late.

So tonight I will drive over there, and just browse through all the unordered, manky looking old books and comics for a couple of hours. Few things are as pleasurable to me as this. And coupled with the take away coffee that I will sneak in there? Bliss.

Mental note- take little bottle of hand washing disinfectant for afterwards.

6 comments:

Nathan said...

I love Gould books. So much. It is the highlight of any trip to Sydney.

Laetitia :-) said...

Forget bottles of disinfectant - get the antiseptic 'wet ones'. Also useful for the handles of shopping trolleys in 'flu season.

beth said...

Now that's my kind of store!!! We have a similar bookstore here called half-price books...all are half the original price or less...I've spent full days in that store. Nirvana.

Ben McLaughlin said...

After all that, I forgot my disinfectant, and finished up touching my eye with book-finger. It got red and sore.

Nathan said...

But did you find any treasures?

Ben McLaughlin said...

one. just posted about it.