Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Um.. Gollum, Anyone?

So after all that nerdish Sci-Fi/Fantasy talk yesterday, I discovered that E owns a couple of David Eddings books, and I started reading the first few pages of one of them.

Basically, it described the back story of this little mis-shapen troll bloke, who has been outcast from his people for his meanness and greed, and lives alone under the earth in these caverns, searching in the dark for treasures, jewels and what have you, hoarding up a little stash. And one day he stumbles on a rare jewel with all this special power.

Now look. I'm trying to be open to the genre being built around cliches and conventions, and I'm okay with that. I'm even embracing the silly names that every place and character has.

But come on. That is just freakin' Gollum.

6 comments:

Amy said...

David Eddings - not the most original of authors...
That's the trouble with the sandals and sorcery style - there really hasn't been anything new done with it for a very long while.

Mark said...

Heh.

Eddings is the recycling king of fantasy (he even recycles his own stuff). Easy read, but you're not going to be startled by a refreshingly new story. I do like some of his dialogue, but even that is recycled. I find them good for a light binge, if that's the mood I'm in.

Ben McLaughlin said...

I'm feeling discouraged. Maybe I'll just read A Wizard Of Earthsea for a fourth time.

At least I know it's good.

Drew said...

Hey Ben, you could come around for a coffee some time and help yourself to whatever is on my bookshelves...

There's too much to list!

Ben McLaughlin said...

That sounds like a good option mate, thanks!

Craig Schwarze said...

If you want to see a rip off, read "The Sword of Shannara".