Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, October 23, 2009

When A Midlife Crisis Awaits

I sometimes wonder about the whole midlife crisis thing. It worries me a little because I know it's such a common phenomenon in men, and I think about what it might look like for me, if the day comes. I probably have a fair few years to go, but still..

I'm not a car person, so I don't really see me being that guy in the new red convertible, balding on top but with a 'weekend warrior' ponytail at the back. And I'm too much of a pansy to ride a motorbike. So I wonder what it would be for me?

The thought has also occurred to me that I might currently be having a bit of a 1/3 life crisis at the moment. I think mainly it's the heavy metal thing. Last year I was readying myself for grandfatherhood, and had my eyes on a pair of R.M. Williams and some sensible beige slacks. Whereas this year I'm actually considering buying a Guns n' Roses Appetite For Destruction t-shirt.

Am I totally neurotic, or do you wonder about these things too?

6 comments:

Amy said...

That photo is so very terrifying.

You're not the only one. I'm thinking about changing careers. My husband went the blue hair option. I think you can have crises every 5 years now.

Pedro said...

Mate. I nearly bought a new motorbike a few weeks ago. I pulled myself up, thinking, 'oh no!, Is this the mid life crisis move?'....
Even though i have had bikes in some way shape or form most of my adult life, i couldn't help but think people might perceive this as my mid life crisis...
I didn't in the end. Finances played the deciding part but...
Was it just that?
Who knows...You would know what prompted it...Is that fair?

Hicksy said...

Good site for that Gunners t-shirt

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/HOUSE-OF-ROCK-1965s__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Ben McLaughlin said...

Only every 5, Amy?

Pedro- Don't worry about what other people percieve, you just work it out. (ie do as I say, not as I do!)

I reckon it's pretty understandable for you to be thinking that way at the moment.

I guess my thoughts on it would be that it's about the motivations. If you think it's a good thing, a good idea, and you can afford it, well that's one thing. But I'd steer clear of doing something big like in a 'make me feel better, I deserve it' kind of way, just because that might bring big regrets, and probably won't really satisfy you.


Hicksy- Cool. Thanks for encouraging my crisis.

Amy said...

Anyway, seeing as we don't know how long we are going to live - ANY time could be a mid-life or quarter-life crisis...

jen-e-ren said...

My only 'craving' as a pregnant woman has been cocktails so far!(I haven't fulfilled it!) My baby and body can't be screaming out for alcohol, so maybe its some subconscious fear of loosing fun, freedom and youth to become a mum!
Not a mid life crisis i know,but i'm bonding with you over getting used to/not freaking out over a new stage in life thing.