Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Favourite Paintings #2- Over Eternal Rest


'Over Eternal Rest' (1894) by Isaac Levitan.

Isaac Ilyich Levitan was a Russian landscape painter in the 1800's. His paintings bring a spiritual weight to the natural world, and really resonate deeply with me. While they are mostly devoid of human presence, the conditions of nature in the paintings seem to mirror certain conditions of the human heart.

I particularly love 'Over Eternal Rest', which depicts a Russian monastery on an outcrop of land, overlooking watery plains, and up to a stormy, expansive sky. I love the stoic looking building, silhouetted against the flat, glarey water.

I love the mastery of depth, in the three levels of cloud- the thin hovering whisp in the middle ground, the low-hanging level behind that, and finally the deep storm cloud in the background.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Very beautiful painting.

Amy said...

The clouds are fantastic...

Simone R. said...

I feel like I have 3D glasses on with this painting.