Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Banana Split

I have a shopper's etiquette question for you.

When I'm shopping for bananas, is it bad form to separate one from a bunch?

Let's say I want to buy one banana. There is a nice big bunch of seven. They are ripe, and untarnished by brown spots.

Beside the bunch, are two single bananas. they look okay, but not quite as good as the bunch ones. A couple of brown spots here and there.

So can I take one from the nice bunch, or am I obliged to take a single? I think I should be able to, but always feel a bit guilty, and half expect security to tap me on the shoulder and say, 'I'm sorry but we are going to have to take you down to the station'.

Are there guidelines for banana bunches that I ought to know about?

6 comments:

Joshua Maule said...

Yeah I feel ya Ben.

I was wondering the same thing about garlic cloves. Can you pull one apart if you're just after one clove?

Pedro said...

mate. Just take the damn banana. Who cares? Can you spell neurotic?

Ben McLaughlin said...

Josh- I'm glad you get it, but I think what you are suggesting with the garlic is more akin to not only seperating the banana from it's bunch, but peeling it and surgically removing one of the sections..

Pedro- I love that I frustrate you.

Simone R. said...

Our shop used to have a sign saying not to break the bunches. The sign isn't there anymore, so I break the bunches.

Laetitia :-) said...

Hahaha - Ben, you worry too much.

Beth said...

I live alone and am the only one who's going to eat them....so i break apart a bunch to get just what i need....why should you take the lesser quality?? If they really want to move those...maybe they should make them cheaper....break 'em apart Ben...