Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, June 28, 2010

Little Dorrit


Last night we watched the first episode of Little Dorrit on the ABC. We missed the first bit, but gradually caught on. I really enjoyed it, and was happy to learn that it was a series, and even happier this morning to read that it's a long series, seven hours worth, I think.

The name vaguely rang a bell, but I couldn't place it, then this morning I read that it's Charles Dickens. I slapped my forehead, of course it's Dickens, you can just tell. I also didn't realise that the bad guy was a heavily made up Andy Serkis (Gollum).

We thought it was a bit convoluted and that there were too many characters to keep track of, but I think that's a bit of a Dickens trait, and that it'll wrap up nicely in the end.

Anyways, I liked it, and look forward to watching each week. Gone are the days when I felt the need to justify myself watching period dramas ('I watched it because E was watching..'). Truth is, I like them very much. There, I said it.

Anyone else watch it?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I watched a bit, was thoroughly confused, played 'spot the English actor' and then gave up and accidentally watched the next two Doctor Who eps instead.

I find Dickens incredibly difficult to follow - just so many characters.

Alistair Bain said...

darn it. Missed it.

Dickens is hard to read. But sooo worth it. He builds characters who are unrelated to each other and then gradually pulls the string so that they all come together.

Masterful.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Amy- Doctor Who over Dickens. Appalling.

Al- Maybe you could catch up on iview. Yeah, I really like Dickens, though I've only read Great Expectations. I thought it was really touching, and hilarious too. I'm planning to read David Copperfield some time this year.

Christine said...

I watched the Doctor last night and plan to watch Little Dorrit on iview tonight - win win :) glad you've confessed to your love of period dramas Ben, bout time I say..