Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Plate-Smashing Incident

I have been gradually losing interest in Master Chef, as it just seems to now be a big contrived sook-fest.

I tell you, food means so much to these people that their sob-stories rival the contestants on So You Think You Can Dance. 'When I cook with turnips it makes me gently weep, as I remember my great-grandmothers' brothers' neighbour who once bought a turnip at the shop..but now...*sob*.. now..she's dead.. This is all for you, great-grandmas' brothers' neighbour..*sob*

Harden up, princess.

But the other night the show reached the pinnacle of contrived dumbness. Matt Preston tastes a dish and says "That's disgusting!" He holds the plate in the air, and throws it over his shoulder, smashing it. Gasp! Shock! Horror! We go to an ad break.

We then come back from the ad break, and see it all again. Then, after the plate smashes he goes, "That was disgusting.... Disgustingly good!"

Oh phew, hooray. Yum, this is so nice that I'm going to throw it on the floor. Yes, there is a firm logic at work there.

And while I'm ranting, that Jonathan guy kills me. And so do the phrases 'plate up' and 'hero of the dish'.

And while I'm at it, I also hate that show Glee, and that horrible Sunbeam ad.

Other than that, I love most things. Especially you, Valued Reader.

9 comments:

Christine said...

hahaha love it, I'm with you Ben :)

Nathan said...

Agree. But Robyn and I also hate the stupid Foxtel EOFYS ad.

Gary Ware said...

The plate smashing thing had 'jumping the shark' stamped large all over it.
Season Two of Masterchef is to Season One what the The Dark Knight returns is to Batman begins.
More of something isn't always better, sometimes it will just result in unconscious self parody.

Joanna said...

I am really hooked on Masterchef, but that plate-smashing thing was appalling. Only slightly better than the moment when Matt Preston very self-consciously wiped up salmon roe using [insert brand name sponsor] paper towel.

Georgina said...

I was seriously pissed off at Matt Preston for doing that. Did you see Aaron's face?? He was DEVASTATED.

That being said, unfortunately I am hooked on Masterchef.

And with Glee, I will have to disagree. I actually bought all 4 albums available on iTunes, that's how sick I am.

Georgina said...

And I really really hate the EOFYS ad too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yeah I don't like that dumb ol' EOFYS ad either. I like the fact that right now I'm trying to remember what it stands for and can't. Ha! Your dumb ad didn't work on me!

Gary- Nice Batman comparison. Unconscious self parady is a good way of putting it.

Joanna- Oh yeah, the paper towell! That was very lame. Product placement makes me queasy.

Georgina- I know.. you could see his little heart breaking there. ps-Sorry about your Glee addiction.

鲁迅 said...

Lol, I'm totally with you on losing interest in Masterchef. It's like last year's success is getting to their heads, and they aren't being humble about it at all.

But Glee? C'mon. Glee is awesome :D

鲁迅 said...

p.s. Hate the EOFYS ad too.