Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, June 4, 2010

Sobering Moment

Sometimes you just drift along, while bit by bit you are going off the rails. But the increments are so small that you don't really realise.

A bit like old mate, the lobster sitting in a pot as it very slowly comes to the boil. One minute, warm bath, the next, seafood platter. Often it's not until you get that sobering slap to the face that you wake up to your sorry state.

Yesterday afternoon, I received one of these proverbial facial slaps.

I was in Cotton On. Yet again. I'd tried on a couple of tops, and was at the counter, waiting to pay. Then along comes some nondescript girl that works there. I didn't recognise her.

I say hi, and her face lights up with recognition, like I'm some old chum. And she goes (and this friends, was the painful slap),

"Back Again!"

No comments: