Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mrs Reed


'Mrs. Reed might be at that time some six or seven and thirty; she was a woman of robust frame, square-shouldered and strong-limbed, not tall, and, though stout, not obese: she had a somewhat large face, the under jaw being much developed and very solid; her brow was low, her chin large and prominent, mouth and nose sufficiently regular; under her light eyebrows glimmered an eye devoid of ruth; her skin was dark and opaque, her hair nearly flaxen; her constitution was sound as a bell..'

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm loving these and can't wait for Mr Rochester and mad Mrs Rochester!

ps. Mrs Reed was a blonde.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Doh! I knew I shouldv'e looked up the word 'flaxen'.. I thought it meant black!

I am comitted to accuracy, so I'll change it, Bonnie.

Ben McLaughlin said...

There we go. Flaxen.

Amy said...

Printed trading cards like these would go like hotcakes on Etsy. Hint hint.

Ben McLaughlin said...

I'm comfortable enough with my manhood to read Jane Eyre. But I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough with my manhood to have an Etsy shop.

Etsy=Girliness x 1000

Traxy said...

Another spot on image! :D

Flaxen is derived from linseed (flax) and is what linen is made of, and of course, natural linen is very pale. Which you probably already know, so apologies if you do! Haven't heard of Etsy before, but I shall go and look it up. :)

I really do look forward to Mr. Rochester, even though he's not described in a very flattering way - especially not when Jane's at Gateshead and paints a picture of him. Whiskers and all. (Eww?)

Ben McLaughlin said...

Traxy- Thanks for stopping by! Thanks for the info too. I had a momentary brain lapse I think.. I'm sure I knew flaxen was blonde!

Having a look at your (many) blogs I can see you are certainly a Jane Eyre fan.. ol' Rochester even gets a blog all to himself!

Traxy said...

Hi again! Yeah, they might look many, but there's really only one blog that gets updated more often than... never. Heh. I started the Rochester blog just to bounce ideas about a novel about the man, but then I had another idea that I was more enthused by, so it's been put on hold for now, and accordingly, so has the blog. Ahh, maybe one day... :)

Ben McLaughlin said...

Sounds interesting, Traxy- you should pursue that.