Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Replacing Broken Walls With A Fortress

Feeling pretty humbled this morning by my own foolishness of late, I just sat down and flicked through Proverbs. It is an amazing book. Each little sentence is a precious jewel that you could sit and ponder for an hour.

Three verses particularly got to me, and were very apt for where I'm at. Here they are, lined up together:

Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control (25:28). A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control (29:11). He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge (14:26).

2 comments:

Chris L said...

I love the imagery of Prov 16:32.
managing to rule your anger takes as much intestinal fortitude and cunning as a mightly soldier or one who takes (besieges?) a city.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yeah I love that one too, Chris