Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

D'oh! A Deer


I watched The Sound Of Music the other day with the kids.

Expectation was high, as Little e has been enjoying the soundtrack for a few weeks. I hadn't seen it since I was really young, so I was also curious to see how it held up.

It holds up well. What a great movie. Julie Andrews is perfect as Maria, instantly likable. The songs and music are great, so well crafted by Rogers and Hammerstein.

I was pretty surprised at the length, though. I'd forgotten the ending, so I was expecting a 'The End' after Maria and the Captain got married. But then there was like another hour almost! Little e switched off at that point, and went somewhere to play, while I watched the VonTrapp's flee from the Nazis. And Little i had given up about an hour before that. Kids these days.

I'd forgotten the whole Nazi element, and while it added a big chunk of time to the movie, it didn't hurt it. Who doesn't like a movie with Nazis? Only crazy people and children under three.

All in all, I really liked it, and could easily watch it again.

8 comments:

Izaac said...

This past Saturday marked my first ever viewing of The Sound of Music (shocking, I know!) Sarah finally convinced me to sit down and watch it. It's so long it even has the word "Interval" come up on the DVD.

But I enjoyed it, especially as I already knew most the songs. Plus, it wasn't just entertaining but educational. I now know how to solve a problem like Maria. Get the Nazi's on to her.

Ben McLaughlin said...

That's funny, we watched it on the same day!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the interval. I think that's when the kids did a runner.

Pedro said...

gold.

Simone R. said...

I watch it fairly regularly.

Thora and Dean said...

until i was an adult i don't think i'd seen the end of sound of music - we always had to go to bed before it finished! so good to buy the dvd and watch it through...and because it has crazy nazi's in it, d will watch it too!

Ben McLaughlin said...

It really shows that there is a simple formula to make a trully family friendly movie--

1.kids singing songs
2.a drawn out romance
3.nazis

And everyone's happy.

Ali said...

Ah these days the Catholicism in this movie hits a sore spot - "somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good" - but I get over it.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yes, I was surprised when I heard that song, one I wasn't familiar with. The lyrics struck me as being pretty non-Christian, which for me, clashed with Maria's character. But I guess you're right, that's kind of a Catholic way of thinking, isn't it.