Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Book Review Wednesday by Crazyjedidiah

The Miracles of Prato
By Laurie Albanese and Laura Morowitz (2009)

Review by Crazyjedidiah

This is a historical novel about the artist Filippo Lippi and his relationship with Lucrezia Butti. I read it cause I won it at TAFE but it is not what I would usually read.

I was really interested after reading the prologue, but then when I got to the actual story I didn't feel like I could connect with the characters and there were things that happened that I felt were not right. I also found it a little difficult cause I don't really know that much about painting and I don't really understand about the Catholic church and their saints.

However after one particular incident I suddenly connected with one particular character and I felt a great empathy for her. But then things happened again in the book that I wasn't sure about whether or not they were the right thing. And besides the one miracle that did happen I'm not sure that it was a miracle at all.

The biggest thing that I did get from the book was that the way that people especially young women were dealt with after they're families came into hard times was to pack them away to the convent/monastery to become nuns/monks which may not necessarily have been what they were suited to or prepared for. I'm sure it meant they were looked after but forcing someone to do something that they are not ready for doesn't help anyone.

Thanks Crazyjedidiah, great to have your review!

No comments: