Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Twilight, Y'all!


So, what happened was this. We went away with a couple of teenagers, and they had Twilight on DVD. We thought, hey, we can finally watch that silly movie everyone babbles about. We watched it, and it was silly, and ridiculous, and I was smirking a lot. But it was fun to watch, and by the end I needed more. It was a bit like McDonald's chips. You know they are kinda nasty, but once you eat three, you crave three hundred more.

So, we got back from hols and I quickly joined a video store and hired New Moon. We enjoyed that one too, and a couple days later hired Eclipse. There were no special features and I felt very sad when it was over, and I had no more to consume. The binge was over.

So, that's it. Yes, I feel somewhat ashamed. A little soiled. But also very alive. My eyes have turned a rich golden brown and my skin shimmers all glittery in the noon day sun.

Anyways, here's a few random thoughts about the three movies. Not sure which point goes with which movie as they all sorta blend together in my mind.

*It was a bit like the love child of Buffy and Bold and The Beautiful. Each movie could have been 45 mins shorter had they trimmed off some of those longing gazes and knowing looks.

* Robert Pattinson was a good choice, and is a bit of a charismatic fella. Kinda James Dean-ish.

*For two people who were supposedly soulmates willing to give up everything for each other, Bella and old mate didn't really spend that much time together. They'd bump in to each other in the school carpark and whatnot, but they were rarely just hanging out. Oh yeah, except for when they were lying in a field of flowers. As you do.

*Those 'badass' group shots of vampires were hilarious. You get about five cool vamps, all standing dynamically spaced like a comic book. Then they just kinda stood there, not doing anything. Funny.

*The werewolf CG was fairly ordinary, but was better by Eclipse

*Jacob looked funny with long hair. Sort of like Sandra Bullock with hormone issues. Consider:

*But he was a good character, especially by the third movie. But the dude needs a t shirt.

*The new Alice, and also Dakota Fanning as the top vampire were unconvincing.

*I loved that bit in the first one where Edward is showing Bella his cool powers, and kind of piggy backs her, running up a mountain in fast motion. Don't carry her cool and romantically, no give her a piggy back and sprint! Comedy gold.

*Bella was annoying. She had one expression through all three films. Frankly I didn't really get what the two fellas were getting all excited about. You never really got to see any of her character or interests other than, 'I'm a troubled youth and the only ones who get me are a werewolf and a vampire'

*That said, I found that I was happy to just watch the three main characters, even if they weren't doing much. whereas I'd switch off a bit when it was the supporting characters, who mostly seemed sort of camp and TVish.

*Can't wait for Breaking Dawn!

15 comments:

Simone R. said...

Bella is completely empty. That's the B&B part. But so is Edward so they are a great match.

I love how all the colours match. Nice greens and blues. Pretty.

We have to wait a while for Breaking Dawn. You could read the books to keep you going till then. They are even trashier than the movies.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Not sure I could bring myself to read the books. There's shame and there's shame.

I know that Edward probably was kinda empty too, but at least you could imagine that as he's really old and has lived through a lot, that underneath all the brooding and sparkling he might have something interesting to contribute. Bella was just, well, a 17 year old.

when's Breaking Dawn out?

KIM said...

Oh Ben! Oh dear! I have a feeling you've caved ...

I must say, though, I'm at least relieved you haven't read and enjoyed the books. We'd have much more serious issues to discuss if that were the case.

I did like your observations, though -- except Robert Pattinson being well-cast? Well, he does fit the moody, brooding, gave-up-on-having-a-personality-200-years-ago sort of vibe ...

Karen said...

I wouldn't bother reading the books. At least the movies sound like they have comedic appeal. The books are just annoying because the writing is so.....ordinary....

Karen said...

Hmmm...reading back over that comment I am just thinking that "comedic" sounds very much like a made-up word...

Simone R. said...

End of the year for part 1, then 12 months later, part 2.

Got to stretch it out.

Breaking Dawn is very B&B.

Pedro said...

hey benno, when you need a spoon of man-ness, give me a call.
Mate...why have you forsaken us?

Traxy said...

LOL! Yes, the movies are funny, for all the wrong reasons. I laughed my way through the first one. Trying to read the books. Have just started the second one. They're not quite as bad as expected, but by no means good.

Sandra Bullock with hormone issues made me giggle, and YES, boy definitely needs a shirt!

Did they change the actress playing Alice? Didn't even notice, haha.

Nathan said...

I'll pray for you Ben.

Stephen said...

And you dissed Green Lantern!? *shakes head sadly*

I watched Twilight because I hate when people make judgement calls about things without having seen/read/etc them and wanted to stop being a hypocrite.

I don't think I'll watch the others. One was more than enough for me.

[But I must admit, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be]

Ben McLaughlin said...

Kim- You don't think he was well cast? Who'd you have instead?

Karen- Yeah, apparently she'd barely picked up a penn before writing the books. Sounds like it shows!

Pedro- it's a real man that isn't ashamed to watch something blowsey. You of all people should get that.

traxy- yeah they changed Alice's. The new one is Bryce thingy, Ron Howards daughter.

Nathan- Funny, I said the same thing to Simone a while back..

Stephen- If you're gonna watch one, you may as well go all out for a hatrick

KIM said...

Ben Affleck? But he would never have done it, so probably some no-name.

Beth said...

I agree....don't read the books. There was nothing exciting. I found myself skipping huge bits and then giving up altogether. I will admit I have only seen the first one, but wasn't completely disappointed.

Beth said...

I agree....don't read the books. There was nothing exciting. I found myself skipping huge bits and then giving up altogether. I will admit I have only seen the first one, but wasn't completely disappointed.

Beth said...

I agree....don't read the books. There was nothing exciting. I found myself skipping huge bits and then giving up altogether. I will admit I have only seen the first one, but wasn't completely disappointed.