Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Book Review Wednesday by Al

Wanting
By Richard Flanagan (2009)

Review by Al

Wanting is a story of the desire to "be"; of death, of love and of the emptiness within the human heart which is so easily filled with a different kind of emptiness. The story follows the lives of Charles Dickens, Lady Jane Franklin and the Aboriginal girl Mathinna who was plucked from a Bass Strait Island by Lady Franklin and "adopted" as one of her own. Mathinna's story is a tragic one. And Lady Jane Franklin's experimental attempt to tame the young Aboriginal "savage" is as reprehensible as it is damnable.

Richard Flanagan's sentences are long and spindly and have a complexity which at times I wondered about. But on the whole I could follow the story easily enough. Baz Luhrmann's Australia was written in part by Flanagan and there is certainly a similarity between the far fetchedness of both stories. Not in a bad way. But you certainly know that you are not reading something which resembles history.


But in the end, as I closed and then put down the beautifully covered red book, I wondered if I'd got it. It didn't feel as profound as I felt it should have done. I enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong. I just thought it was lacking, wanting.

Thanks a lot, Al! Check out Al's great blog, Paradoxically Speaking.

No comments: