Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, February 11, 2011

A Letter From A Father To His Daughter


Dawn posted this letter on her blog- a letter from King George VI (The King's Speech guy) to his daughter Elizabeth (the current Queen) at the time of her marriage. It's pretty sweet--

I was so proud of you & thrilled at having you so close to me on our long walk in Westminster Abbey, but when I handed your hand to the Archbishop I felt that I had lost something very precious.

You were so calm & composed during the Service and said your words with such conviction, that I knew everything was all right ...

I have watched you grow up all these years with pride under the skilful direction of Mummy, who, as you know is the most marvellous person in the World in my eyes, & I can, I know, always count on you, & now Philip, to help us in our work. Your leaving us has left a great blank in our lives but do remember that your old home is still yours & do come back to it as much & as often as possible. I can see that you are sublimely happy with Philip which is right but don't forget us is the wish of

Your ever loving & devoted

Papa

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Yes, that seems to have been a really happy little family. I'm no monarchist but I feel sad that Elizabeth's own family life has been very different - unable to spend much time with her own children growing up & a husband who by all accounts is a terrible philanderer (& was rude to my Dad once, but that's another story:))

Ben McLaughlin said...

I didn't know that about him. To be honest I know very little about the royal fam in general.

Ps- in case you didn't see my comment on the quiz, congratulations on your wonderful news:)

Joanna said...

Thanks, Ben! We are really excited (& all was good at the scan on Monday).